Luis Alvarez/Getty Images
- You should change your Facebook password regularly to keep your account and data secure.
- To change your Facebook password, go to the Meta Account Center.
- If you haven’t already, you should also enable two-factor authentication for your Facebook account.
Internet security isn’t something to be taken lightly, and social media sites are some of the most heavily targeted sites by hackers.
One of the ways you can keep your data safe — or at least drastically reduce the chance of being hacked — is by regularly changing your password, particularly on Facebook.
Thankfully, creating a new password is easy on both the Facebook website as well as in the Facebook mobile app. Here’s how to do it.
Quick tip: If you want to reset your password because you can’t remember what it is, click Forgot password? on the sign-in screen. You’ll be asked for your email or phone number, and Facebook will send you a link to create a new password.
How to change your Facebook password on the website
1. Open Facebook in a web browser and log into your account, if you haven’t already.
2. Click the downward-pointing arrow at the top-right of the screen, then click Settings & Privacy and Settings.
In the drop-down menu under the arrow, click “Settings & privacy” and then “Settings.”
Grace Eliza Goodwin/Business Insider
3. In the menu on the left side of the screen, click See more in Accounts Center.
4. In the Accounts Center, select Password and security (under Account settings).
5. Select Change password. If you have multiple accounts with Meta (for example, both Facebook and Instagram), you will be prompted to select the account that you want to change.
6. Type in your current password, then enter a new one and enter it again to confirm.
6. Click Save Changes to confirm your new password.
How to change your Facebook password on an iPhone
1. Open the Facebook app on your iPhone and tap Menu in the bottom-right corner of your screen to open a menu of options.
2. Scroll down and tap the Settings & Privacy section, and then again on Settings.
3. Tap See more in Accounts Center.
4. Scroll down to Password and security (under Account Settings).
5. Tap Change password. If you have more than one account with Meta (for example, both Facebook and Instagram), you’ll be prompted to select which account you want to change.
6. On the Change Password screen (pictured below), enter your current password and your new password, and then re-write your new password to confirm it. Tap the blue Change Password button to confirm the changes.
How to turn on two-factor authentication on Facebook
Even if you have a strong password that you change regularly, it’s always worth adding two-factor authentication to your Facebook account.
Two-factor authentication makes it so when someone tries to log into your Facebook account, they’ll also need to enter a code that’s texted to your phone. It’s one of the best ways to keep your account safe.
To turn on two-factor authentication, head to the same Password and Security section of the Meta Account Center as above, and use the Two-Factor Authentication options there.