Categories
Audio Posts In Russian

В Москве на Чагинской подстанции горит трансформатор


По предварительным данным, в результате случившегося никто не пострадал.

Categories
Audio Posts In English

Australian warship sails through Taiwan Strait


2023-11-24T03:51:49Z

Taiwan said on Friday that an Australian warship had sailed through the Taiwan Strait, the sensitive and narrow waterway that separates the democratically governed island from China.

The island’s defence ministry did not name the ship but said it entered the strait on Thursday and sailed through it in a southerly direction, adding that Taiwan’s military kept watch throughout. It gave no more details.

An Australian official confirmed the ship, the Toowoomba, transited the international waters of the Taiwan Strait as part of its regional deployment.

Euan Graham, a senior analyst at the Australian Strategic Policy Institute, said the Australian navy has regularly transited through the Taiwan Strait but “choose not to publicise it”.

The sailing has come at a difficult time in Australia-China military relations even as the two countries seek to get ties back on track.

Last week, Canberra complained of an incident involving a Chinese warship and the same Australian navy vessel in Japan’s Exclusive Economic Zone in which an Australian military diver was injured.

The U.S. Navy sends ships through the strait around once a month in what it calls “routine” transits. China routinely objects to the voyages.

Graham said the Australian navy transits through the Taiwan Strait because it is the shortest route between the East China Sea and South China Sea, and he warned against reading too much into the timing of the latest sailing.

“It’s a befitting coincidence but shouldn’t be misinterpreted as Australia going out of its way to make a point to China, after the sonar incident,” he said.

“Transits through the Taiwan Strait shouldn’t be controversial, just lawfully going from the East China Sea to the South China Sea via the shortest route.”

Taiwan has over the past four years complained of repeated Chinese military activity around the island, especially in the strait.

Taiwan, which rejects China’s sovereignty claims, is gearing up for presidential and parliamentary elections on Jan. 13.


Categories
Audio Posts In English

Myanmar Says Drone Attack by Ethnic Groups Destroyed 120 Trucks


Myanmar ‘s military-controlled government said Thursday that almost half of more than 250 cargo trucks stranded by fighting against ethnic minority armed groups near the northeastern border with China have been destroyed in a fire caused by bombs dropped by drones.

Maj. Gen. Zaw Min Tun, spokesperson of the ruling military council, said in a statement phoned to state television MRTV that trucks parked in a compound near a trade zone in Muse township caught fire after drones belonging to ethnic armed organizations launched an attack at about 9:45 a.m. Thursday.

The action was one of the most dramatic, and in terms of property damage, most extensive since the self-styled Three Brotherhood Alliance of the Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army, the Ta’ang National Liberation Army and the Arakan Army launched a coordinated offensive in northern Shan state on Oct. 27. The trucks are used to carry goods to and from China.

Zaw Min Tun said about 120 of 258 trucks, which were parked near the Kyin-San-Kyawt Border Gate, were destroyed in the fire, which he blamed on the alliance. He said the fire was put out after about six hours but made no mention of casualties.

Le Kyar Win, the spokesperson of the Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army, denied the alliance carried out the attack, blaming the military itself.

“To be honest, this is an act that harms the people. And that place is not our military target. So there is no reason for us to attack,” Le Kyar Win said.

The alliance has claimed widespread victories, and the military government acknowledged soon after fighting began that it had lost three towns. The fighting has included destroying bridges and cutting key roads from Myanmar’s interior, Zaw Min Tun said. The fighting of the past three weeks appears to have stopped almost all legal cross-border trade with China, a major economic disruption for Myanmar.

It also has put pressure on the military government in its struggle against the armed pro-democracy forces that are challenging it in other parts of the country, where new attacks were carried out after the Oct. 27 offensive.

Armed resistance arose after the army seized power in February 2021 from the elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi and has tenaciously carried on against the military regime’s better-armed and more numerous security forces. The pro-democracy People’s Defense Force has joined hands with several of the well-organized, battle-hardened ethnic armed groups that have been fighting Myanmar’s central government for greater autonomy for decades.

“The escalation is now the largest in scale and most extensive geographically since the early 2021 military takeover, impacting multiple areas, particularly northern and southern Shan, Sagaing, Kayah, Rakhine, and southern Chin,” areas in northern, central, eastern and western Myanmar, said a situation report circulated Wednesday by the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, OCHA.

It also said that “key transport routes in townships with active fighting” had been blocked by both the army and the ethnic armed groups, “restricting people’s movements to safer locations, as well as hampering humanitarian access.”

The report by the U.N. agency said that 187 civilians have reportedly died and 246 others have been injured while more than 286,000 people have been displaced by the fighting that began late October. According to its estimates, more than 1.8 million people have been displaced since the army’s 2021 takeover.

The Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army is besieging the town of Laukkaing, which is the administrative capital of what is officially called the Kokang Self-Administered Zone.

The Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army is a military organization of the Kokang minority that is trying to oust a rival Kokang group backed by the military government from its seat of power in the town.

Laukkaing is notorious for hosting major organized criminal enterprises including cyberscam operations controlled by Chinese investors in collusion with local Myanmar warlords.

Beijing is embarrassed by the large-scale criminality and has vowed to eradicate it. In recent weeks, as the Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army has gained ground, thousands of Chinese nationals involved in such operations have been repatriated into police custody in China.


Categories
Audio Posts In English

South Korea Frees Watercraft-Riding Dissident — for Now


A Chinese dissident who fled across the Yellow Sea on a Jet Ski-style watercraft is free in South Korea after three months in detention, at least for now. 

A South Korean court on Thursday sentenced Kwon Pyong, 35, to one year in prison for entering the country illegally but suspended the sentence for two years, effectively ending his detention. 

Kwon’s request for asylum in South Korea is still pending, meaning he still faces the threat of being deported to China if his request is rejected. He has also asked to be permitted to seek asylum in a third country if he cannot stay in South Korea. 

Kwon, held in Incheon detention center for the past three months, arrived on the Korean coastline on the night of August 16 after a 300-kilometer sea crossing from the Chinese province of Shandong. 

He was wearing a life jacket and helmet and was equipped with binoculars and a compass when he was found. He told authorities he had towed five barrels of fuel behind him in order to complete the long voyage.

Kwon previously served 18 months in prison in China after being convicted of “inciting subversion of state power” in 2017 and was still subject to an exit ban when he fled China. His crime was protesting against Chinese leader Xi Jinping by wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with satirical nicknames for the communist leader.

Gu Yi, a Chinese activist and doctoral student at the University of Georgia who said he knows Kwon, told VOA’s Mandarin Service that South Korea had come under pressure from Beijing to deal harshly with Kwon. He urged South Korea to allow his friend to seek asylum in a third country.

“Although Kwon has been temporarily released, he is still far from true freedom,” Gu said. “Originally, according to Article 31 of the Convention on the Status of Refugees, signed by South Korea, Kwon should not be punished for illegal entry as an asylum-seeker.

“But South Korea has been under tremendous pressure from Beijing from the beginning. … I hope it will allow Kwon to go to a third country that will accept him.”

According to Yonhap News Agency, the court ruled that Kwon had attempted to enter the country illegally and had dumped waste into the sea.

Quan He, Kwon’s father, told The Guardian in an interview that his son was “an honest and sincere” person who began to question China’s one-party rule after studying aerospace engineering in the United States, where he graduated from Iowa State University in 2012.

The father said he hoped that the Korean government could give his son “a way to live.” 

At a preliminary hearing last month, Kwon told the judge, “I did not secretly enter South Korea to damage buildings or violate the law. After I was sentenced in China, I lived without freedom and could not leave the country in a normal way.”

South Korea provides asylum to only a small number of refugees each year. It has taken in fewer than 4,000 asylum-seekers over the past 20 years, mostly from Yemen and Syria.

VOA reached out to both the Chinese and South Korean embassies in the United States for comments and had not received any response by publication.

Adrianna Zhang contributed to this report.


Categories
Audio Posts In Russian

Как будет происходить выполнение соглашения о перемирии между Израилем и ХАМАС


ria_8532058hr_cf2_ede.jpg

Четырехдневное прекращение огня в секторе Газа между Израилем и ХАМАСом должно вступить в силу в пятницу утром, 24 ноября, после того, как переговорщики проработали окончательные детали сделки, которая также приведет к освобождению десятков заложников, удерживаемых палестинской группировкой, а также палестинцев, заключенных в тюрьму Израилем.


Categories
Audio Posts In Russian

Тульские десантники уничтожили дронами пехоту ВСУ на артемовском направлении


img_20230512_110034_923_b5c.jpg

Расчет БПЛА Тульского гвардейского соединения ВДВ уничтожил две группы украинской пехоты в районе опорного пункта на артемовском направлении. Об этом сообщили в Минобороны РФ.


Categories
Audio Posts In Russian

В Приморье подвели итоги высокого сезона


f-77_e3f.jpg

Высокий туристический сезон 2023 года в Приморском крае оценили, как сложный, но не безуспешный. Представители отрасли поделились своими набюлюдениями.


Categories
Audio Posts In Russian

Американская наемница Мациоровски: В армии Украины выросли потери


rg-social-dummy-logo-650x360.jpg

Вооруженные силы Украины потеряли большое количество бойцов за последнее время. Об этом в статье для Business Insider написала примкнувшая к ВСУ американская медсестра Ребекка Мациоровски.


Categories
Audio Posts In English

Former Paralympian Pistorius seeks parole a decade after killing girlfriend


2023-11-24T03:07:28Z

Olympic and Paralympic track star Oscar Pistorius leaves court after appearing for the 2013 killing of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria, South Africa, June 14, 2016. REUTERS/Siphiwe Sibeko/Files

South Africa’s former Paralympic star Oscar Pistorius, jailed in 2014 for killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, will get another chance for an early release at a parole hearing on Friday.

Known as the “Blade Runner” for his carbon-fibre prosthetic legs, Pistorius went from a public hero as a Paralympic champion to a convicted killer in hearings that caught the world’s attention a decade ago.

Pistorius shot and killed Steenkamp on Valentine’s Day in 2013.

He was initially jailed for five years in 2014 for culpable homicide by a high court but the Supreme Court of Appeal in late 2015 found him guilty of murder after an appeal by prosecutors.

He was sent back to jail for six years in 2016 after a High Court sentence, which was less than half the 15-year minimum term sought by prosecutors.

In 2017, the Supreme Court more than doubled his murder sentence to 13 years and five months, saying the six-year jail term was “shockingly lenient.”

A spokesperson for South Africa’s Department of Correctional Services said a parole board would consider Pistorius’ case at a hearing on Friday, where they will decide if he should be released on parole.

“The CSPB (Correctional Supervision and Parole Board) shall … decide whether the inmate is suitable or not for social reintegration,” said Correctional Services spokesperson Singabakho Nxumalo.

Pistorius’ lawyer Conrad Dormehl told Reuters the hearing would take place in the Atteridgeville Correctional Centre near the capital Pretoria but declined to comment on their expectations from the hearing.

Several factors are typically taken into account by a parole board before inmates are released on parole.

These include the nature of the crimes, the possibility of reoffending, conduct in prison, physical and mental wellbeing and potential threats they may face if released.

Pistorius was denied parole in March after it was ruled that he had not completed the minimum detention period required to be considered for parole.

However, the Constitutional Court said in October that Pistorius had served half of his sentence by March 21 this year, which meant he was eligible for parole, after his sentence was backdated to July 2016 instead of November 2017.


Categories
Audio Posts In English

American volunteers in Israel helping feed troops